This isn’t so much of a recipe, since the concept is pretty simple, but I thought I’d share a few tips from my experience making ice cream sandwiches! I definitely went pretty basic, but feel free to fancy things up with some sprinkles or melted chocolate.
- 1 recipe ice cream
- 1 recipe cookies (even number if you can)
I personally used my own ice cream and chocolate chip cookies, but it’d be just as great with any variety- cookies and ice cream can’t really go wrong. It’s simple! Just take a cookie, slap a scoop of ice cream down, and sandwich with another matching cookie. Then, wrap and freeze or enjoy right away!
A few tips:
- While you’re working with the ice cream, keep it as cool as possible to avoid melting ice cream. I placed my ice cream in a bowl of ice water to keep the temperature down, but homemade ice cream also has a higher tendency to liquify than does store-bought.
- If you’re planning to store and freeze your cookies, consider getting a helper or laying out your storage method beforehand, because you will not have a lot of time to waste between arranging your sandwiches and getting them back into the freezer
- Make your cookies as round and evenly sized as possible- it really really helps to keep things neat. If the cookies are different sizes, you’re pretty likely to have some ice cream spilling over the sides, which’ll melt real quick
- Kind of unrelated, but I actually made these for the last week of a class at school, so I did some pretty intensive research into ice cream storage and transportation. I got lucky and got access to a freezer at school to keep them solid until the class period, but I made do for the hour between home and school by placing my packaged cookies into a plastic bag and packing them deep into a styrofoam cooler full of ice blocks and freezer pads. If you need longer storage, I recommend looking into dry ice and its proper use. Unfortunately, as I learned, you will probably need to be 18+ to actually purchase the ice, but it will stay frozen for many more hours than ice can provide.